Submit Your Tax Information
If your FAFSA application is selected by the U.S. Department of Education to be verified, UW-Stout is required to confirm your tax information and will send you a Verification Worksheet in the mail. You can also see if you are selected for verification in your To-Do List in Access Stout.
There are two ways to submit your tax verification information:
You can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in your FAFSA online to automatically transfer your tax information to UW-Stout. This is the simplest way to transfer your information.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov and click Make a Correction.
- Log in using your (the student's) FSA ID.
- Make sure you are on the tab for the correct school year. Click on the Make FAFSA Corrections link.
- Click on the Financial Information tab. Look on the left edge of the screen to see if you are on the Parent or the Student section. If you need to submit tax information for both you and your parents, make sure you go through steps 5-8 below for both the Parent and the Student section.
- Click Link to IRS button. (If you are not able to do the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, the FAFSA will not give you the option to link to the IRS, and you must follow the directions below about requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript.)
- You are informed that you are leaving your FAFSA. Click Proceed to IRS Site to continue.
- Enter your information. Your address must be entered exactly how you entered it on your tax return.
- Click the first checkbox, and then click the Transfer Now button. You'll automatically return to your FAFSA.
- Click on the Sign & Submit tab, and submit your FAFSA.
- Do not forget to complete your Verification Worksheet and mail it to our Financial Aid Office.
If you are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must request your IRS Tax Return Transcript from the IRS and submit it to our office.
You can request your IRS Tax Return Transcript online or by calling 1-800-908-9946. You can choose whether your Tax Return Transcript will be displayed to you online or mailed to you at the address on your tax return.
- Click on Get Your Tax Record. If at any point, you cannot validate your identity (for example, you cannot provide financial information or you lack access to a mobile phone), you may use the Get Transcript by MAIL option.
- Enter the tax filer's Social Security Number, email address, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card associated with your name, and mobile phone associated with your name. Click Continue.
- Select Tax Return Transcript (not Tax Account Transcript) and in the Tax Year field, select the appropriate year.
- If successfully validated, you will be able to view your IRS Tax Return Transcript online. Write the student's name and ID on it, then submit it to UW-Stout along with your completed Verification Worksheet.
- If you need to go back and Get Transcript by Mail instead, you will need the address you used on your tax return. If you are having trouble with the address section, the IRS may have "standardized" your address when they processed your tax return. To find your "standardized" address, go to www.usps.com and click on Look Up a Zip Code. Enter your address and click Find.
Note: If you have filed an amended tax return, you must ALSO request a Tax Account Transcript in addition to the Tax Return Transcript. Please return both forms along with page 1 and 2 of your 1040X.
Verification of Non-Filing Letter
If your FAFSA application is selected by the U.S. Department of Education to be verified, UW-Stout is required to confirm your tax information. Do you have a "Non-filing Verif" checklist in your To-Do List in Access Stout? If so, you or your parent indicated on your FAFSA that you did not file taxes for the requested year, and you need to submit a Verification of Non-filing from the IRS to our office to confirm that you did not file taxes.
If you did file taxes in the requested year, then you must submit a Tax Return Transcript to our office instead.
- Download IRS Form 4506-T at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.
- Line 5 provides you with the option to have your IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. Do not have your letter sent directly to UW-Stout.
- Line 6: enter tax form number 1040.
- Line 7: select the checkbox on the right-hand side for Verification of Non-filing.
- Line 9: enter the requested year for the year or period.
- The non-filer must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address or fax number listed on page 2 of the form.
- If the 4506-T is successfully validated, non-filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter at the address included in their request within 5 to 10 business days. Write the student’s name and UW-Stout ID on it, then submit it to UW-Stout along with your completed Verification Worksheet.